Friday, July 21, 2006

Whoops

My fruit bowl sits on a low window ledge in my kitchen which leads directly out onto the balcony, thus...



I went for a banana and dislodged an apple that quite literally jumped out of the bowl and rolled very quickly and very purposefully across the balcony. I watched it go, banana in hand, thinking "it's fine cos there's no way it will fit through..." and over it went. Gone. Fitting perfectly through the gap in the bottom of the ironwork. Eek. It's quite a drop and I had been out on the balcony moments earlier watering the flowers and had seen the landlord's elderly father going to and from his car so I became pretty scared that I'd just killed the poor old soul with my apple. It didn't sound like I'd killed him, I didn't hear a body slump or anything. But still I just waited for a good 5 minutes not wanting to implicate myself by looking worriedly over the edge. But when I did look it was fine. No bodies just my apple, still intact, a little way down the street. Phew. The landlord's dad lives to see another day. I'm going to have to get me some sort of fencing to protect my neighbours from other errant pieces of fruit.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you just going to leave the poor little apple stranded there?!

12:45 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Hell yes! There's no need for anyone to know what happened. I may even walk past it with a puzzled expression on my face, looking up at neighbouring balconies as if to say "well where the devil did that come from?"

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like (in the way it's possible to like grotesquely horrid things, like brussel sprouts) your new piccie. It's a little like the lunatic artist guy's masterpiece in good old Neighbours...

2:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Good thing you weren't keeping bowling balls in that fruit bowl! Although then I guess, it would not be a fruit bowl...

I'd like to add you to my blogroll, Kees. Any objections?

2:35 PM  
Blogger bronxbt said...

um... so the pic kinda looks like "the artist formerly known as barbie/Prince" or something like that... freaks me out.

please consider bringing your loveliness back to us.

whimper.

regarding the apple:
be thankful it wasn't a watermelon


' nuff said.

3:24 PM  
Blogger karen said...

anna: thank you. i think.

barbara: aw thanks! no objections at all

B: I have considered it and the answer is no. xmas fairy rules. look at her! she's beautiful. you and mr puddins will grow to love her in time.

Bowling balls and watermelons would have been ok becasue they would have been unable to pass through the iron work. A cricket ball would most definitely not have been ok.

I ventured out earlier and noticed quite a significant 'splat' mark outside the front door with a small chunk of apple at its centre. I became worried that tho I may not have killed the landlord's father, he may have wintessed the event and interpreted it as an attempt on his life. But then I saw him and he gave me two biros so I guess that means we're cool.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

lol, that's hilarious. there could be much worse things than falling fruit from the sky/balcony. it would have been almost worth getting 'caught' to see peoples reactions, the perplexed look is always great.

To second Barbara B, I'm adding you too to my blog links :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Yay!! Thanks Allison. Hmmm, gonna have to get me one of those blog link thingies :)

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as i shamelessly cross over to other peeoples blogs (got to yours from barbara whcih i got to from jen)...i noticed your pic of the fruit on the window sill...is it only me or does it remind you of a rabbit in a bowl?...the apple its head, the orange its body and the banana its ear?...maybe its me cause i got stupid rabbits living in my yard now... breddin like...well...rabbits...i don't want them but i can't be the one to eliminate them

6:07 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Hi Kelly! Welcome! You're dead right it does look like a rabbit! Lucky for me I can just eat my fruit rabbit (or toss it over the balcony, whatever) but tough call if you've got unwanted rabbits. You need some predator poo is what you need! Nice lump of fox poo or something. They won't like that one bit. But then instead of rabbits in your garden you'll have poo. Hmmm tricky...

12:03 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hahahaha, I love it when stuff like that happens! It makes me laugh outloud to myself so much!
I bet an apple on the head from that height would be quite a shock. :]

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home