Thursday, August 31, 2006

The vet sees dead people

So this morning I popped into Boots to peruse the moisturising creams. I wanted to see what one smelled like so I gave the bottle a gentle squeeze...and a great big glob shot straight up my nose. I was startled to say the least. But I think I covered up pretty well and managed to resist the urge to just snot it straight back out over the display. What I didn't inhale I managed to nonchalantly rub into my nose. So I now have a soft nose and I certainly know what it smells like - I can still smell it now.

But if there's one person that can always make me feel better about myself it's the vet. At least I can be thankful I don't get myself into the situations he manages to.

The vet is, very admirably, taking part in a half marathon next month for the charity Barnardo's. Actually it's really quite soon. Just under three weeks away. He has been running to work every day for ages and ages which is very impressive. I'm a little worried he hasn't actually run more than 4 miles in one go yet. I don't know much about running but it seems like if you're going to run 13 miles, 4 mile runs might be under-doing it a bit. But he assures me he has an inherent genetic ability to run 13 miles so I'm sure it will be fine. Anyway, the poor lad is a little sweaty when he gets to work but the showers in the medical school can only be accessed by going through the human dissection room. I wouldn't want to shower anywhere near there but then I wouldn't want to run 13 miles either. He hasn't minded though, until yesterday when HE GOT LOCKED IN THERE FOR HALF AN HOUR!!! WITH THE DEAD PEOPLE!!! Aaaaaaahhhhh!! I'd rather snort moisturiser any day.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hewwoooo. i have no idea what programme barbara is talking about but it sounds awesome. i am SO TIRED it's ridiculous. but i've finished most of my jobs for today and my patients are all pretty healthy so i have nothing to do! woo hooo! maybe i will go to theatre. maybe you probably don't care.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning all. I've just had a shower in an attempt to wake up my lazy brain but yuk, showering with dead people does not sounds remotely refreshing...perhaps the vet should start jogging home instead, where i imagine he has less creepy bathroom facilities...?

Snorting moisturiser - now that could have been dangerous, how funny would it have been if you'd had to seek assistance.

I too am completely mystified by Barbara's programme with the dead chap and the Kees-lookalike...maybe it's a British export they've witheld from our own viewing pleasure...

10:32 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

LOL, quite the entertaining tale :) I didn't laugh too much at your expense, really sounds like something I would have done. And your pulled off a good recovery. At least your weren't at a restaurant, and it was a condiment of sort, now that I have done ;)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Will said...

It's always nice to see that someone's problems are bigger than yours. Frankly I don't like being locked anywhere. However, inhaling a substance by surprise also does not sound fun ... but my hat's off to you for playing it cool. Well, if I were wearing a hat. My sympathy all around.

5:39 PM  
Blogger karen said...

hiya gem gem, the only thing I can think of that's vaguely similar is Randall and Hopkirk but I never saw that so I don't know, sounds cool tho don't it?

morning deary, yeah it was pretty funny, once I'd established I wasn't going to choke to death on Garnier Body Cocoon I then got the giggles. Crazy loon in the aisles of Boots.

Laugh all you like Allison, I did. Yeah condiments are also a potential minefield :D

I would not say I played it all that cool Will, bulging eyes and inability to breath for a good few seconds. I managed not to make a spectacle but only because there wasn't anyone in the immediate vicinity!!!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh my goodness, you may not have done so, but I had snot flying out of my nose reading about your misadventures! But at least I wasn't in Boots.

5:11 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

omg, that first paragraph made me laugh so hard I SNORTED and slapped my knee :D And I have a bad headache too *sitting here with a bag of frozen cranberries on my head..I have no headache pillz* Especially the "I can still smell it" *giggle snorts*

Once I tried to smell a flower and my inhale was a bit too strong and it sucked the petals of the flower around my nose, so it looked like I was trying to snort it right up my nose. (Don't snort pansies) Luckily the person I was with at the time was too distracted by looking at the other flowers to notice! whew

Locked in with the dead people. Oh....My.....Gawd! I would have nightmares for the rest of my life.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I always knew you lived the Rock star lifestyle Kees, but going to Boots and snorting moisturiser...?

Kate Moss and now you !

1:04 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Haha lovin' the moisturiser story. That's the sort of thing that happens to me.
Eeewww, dead people & dissection = Not good.

10:43 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Hehehe! What a snotty bunch we are Barbara :)

Aw mellowlee, hope the headache is better, frozen cranberries eh? I'll have to remember that!

Ben I know! I hope my numerous modelling contracts don't suffer as a consequence.

Heya Dogga, eeeewwwww is right, creeps me out :(

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home