Friday, September 01, 2006

Tea, cake and platinum chats

Wednesday and Thursday were days of tea-drinking cake-eating and much much gabbling. On Wednesday the lovely Anna came over from the big smoke to pay me a visit and show off her fat new engagement ring, which is very beautiful. I baked chocolate orange cake which we ate in big slices with a huge pot of tea while we completely and utterly put the world to rights (and we are always right). And, of course, watched neighbours. What a way to spend a Wednesday.

Then on Thursday night I went to see one of my supervisors. He is Argentinian. 'Passionate' is a word often used about him. He shouts a lot. I took him and his partner some of the cake. She wasn't there when I first got there and after eating his bit of cake he decided to eat her bit too

"We have saying in Argentina, 'what eyes cannot see heart does not feel'. Which means I can eat her cake".

He also tried to give me her cat who he hates. It sat on my lap sleeping the whole evening but apparently it's 'evil'. Anyway he talked for HOURS...a small bit about work but mostly the beatles, China, horses, women ("why they do the things they do? it is beyond comprehension! why does she leave the video in player when I have told her 25 times? why does she twist the handle when she opens the drawer? she has broken many handles this way! she knows she is doing I think, I think she does just to piss me off" - all the while 'she' is sat there rolling her eyes, slightly awkward). By the time I left my ears were bleeding and I was full of tea and cake.

Anyway I'm in sunny Weymouth for a few days now in celebration of ma and pa's birthday (on the same day!). We're going out for dinner, going shoppping, going out for lunch, going to a spa for the day and drinking yet more tea. Full report soon...

8 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Happy birthday, Ma and Pa!

I hope the spa experience is delightful. Do try to keep the bottles of moisturizer and such away from your nose.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Oooo, enjoy the pampering at the spa! Hope you have fun celebrating your parents birthdays! How crazy is it that theirs are on the same day?!
I'm not really one for tea, but your cake sounds delightful :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Oooh a spa day :) I hope you end up all blissed out! Have fun :) LOL at Barb's comment about moisturizer. Now I'm craving tea and cake!!! Orange and chocolate is one of the world's greatest combinations! mmmm

7:29 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Good point Barbara, maybe I should ring ahead and tell them to lock up their lotions.

Not only are their birthdays on the same day but they thought it would be fun to get married on their birthdays so it's anniversary too! Expensive few days for me.

True mellowlee, can't really go wrong with chocolate and orange, mmmmmm :D

8:27 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Nooo! How funny. Weymouth born and bred me :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Now I am hungry for orange and chocolate anything and I want tea.
My parents bdays are a few days apart. We tend to celebrate them on the same day though.
Happy Bday to your parental units Kees.
Oh I remembered the show your look alike is on... Ed Stone Is Dead

2:39 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I can't say that any of my adviser meetins were so strange.

4:31 PM  
Blogger karen said...

There are few combinations as glorious as chocolate and orange Barbara. Ed Stone is Dead you say...I've not heard of it - I'll keep an eye out for my doppelganger tho!

Strange AND entertaining Will, always entertaining.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home