Friday, September 08, 2006

Pair of cake-making geniuses

So Saturday was all about eating, drinking and drawing on tablecloths. Sunday was all about cake-making. We girls KNOW how to party. And not just any cake but 'divine chocolate birthday cake' so says Mary Berry.

It started badly. I opened a cupboard and a pestle and mortar threw themselves at me and smashed on the floor. Good start. So I picked up all the tiny bits of china from off the floor, then picked out all the really teeny bits from under my fingernails.

Gem Gems was whinging quite considerably about the fact the recipe had no flour and was therefore doomed to failure. It was mostly egg white, ground almonds, sugar, and a lot of chocolate, with chocolate and butter to make the icing. Basically heart-attack cake. So when it turned out quite well we were pleasantly surprised and pretty bloody chuffed. We set about decorating it with glace cherries, white chocolate buttons and Belgian truffles. We had it in mind that it would look dead decadent piled high with chocolates and bejeweled with cherries. BUT, in our excitement we did not let the chocolate icing cool sufficiently. And EVERYTHING started to melt into the chocolate and slide off the side of the cake. Genius.

So we jammed it back into the tin from whence it came, shoved it in the fridge and crossed our fingers. It actually didn't come out too bad considering what a hash we made of it and it tasted amazing - so rich it'll make your face sweat kind of affair. It did look like it had been made by a small child, though bless her mum marveled at how the '50' I had painstakingly crafted out of white chocolate buttons had "melded" seamlessly into the icing. A lesson learnt though, patience is a virtue, always let your icing thoroughly cool before loading it with temperature-sensitive confectionery.

13 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Mmmm, looks great... Send me a piece would ya? :0

9:57 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh MY GOD! It looks so good, and the description sounds great too. I want some :) I can never wait to decorate a cake either. That's the best part. Well, besides licking the bowl.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I just about shorted out the keyboard with drool; that looks incredible! I'll bet your mom was plenty happy. I will be sure to let my daughter know about this as my birthday approaches.

4:55 AM  
Blogger karen said...

If there was any left Dogga I'd send some up with Stu but there isn't so I won't :P

Oh yeah mellowlee a lot of bowl-licking went on :D

Perhaps Eva would like the recipe Barbara? :)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum yum yum...

4:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well, I'm not so sure that Eva would like the recipe, although she did make cookies once, but I would not say no to the recipe! Because I need to increase my chocolate intake haha.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

That looks like a fine piece of cake to me.
I hate icing, for that very reason, but place a cheery ontop of most things and its can look grand!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

So hungry now....
I think I will go have dinner early and dessert before that.

10:16 PM  
Blogger karen said...

yum yum yum indeed anna :P

As soon as I lay my grubby little paws on it I'll e-mail it right on over Barbara

You're not wrong there Allison, I f**king love a cherry

There should be more of that kind of behaviour Barbara W, sweet then savoury - it's the way forward.

4:14 PM  
Blogger bronxbt said...

OH MY that looks yummers!
hi kees! sorry i've been a butt and haven't commented on yer site lately....

*hand slap*

stop by either cardboardpeople at some point or VOTE next week on fuzziechadsrule!

still lurvin' yer site tho!
keep it up!

~ Bronxbt & mr puddins

7:51 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Hey B, welcome back. Will stop by and cast my vote for sure!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Will said...

that is certainly the most delicious thing i've seen on a blog in quite some time.

5:58 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Yay! Thanks Will, I do my best y'know.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home