Sunday, November 19, 2006

John Martyn

For Allison, who felt she was lacking in music from the 70s - an introduction to John Martyn

Bless The Weather


Stormbringer


Solid Air


My Baby Girl


'Bless the Weather' is from the album of the same name which was chosen by Q magazine as one of twelve essential folk albums of all time in 1999. Bless is used here in the old fashioned sense of the word, not as in 'aw bless the weather, how cute'.

Stormbringer is the title track from the 1970 album John Martyn released with his then-wife Beverley. It was supposed to be her solo album but got a bit taken over by John as he ended up writing 7 of the 10 songs and released under both names. I'm sure she was thrilled.

Solid Air, the title track from his 1973 album, was dedicated to Nick Drake, Martyn's friend and label-mate, who was suffering from depression at the time and died of an overdose of antidepressants 18 months after the album was released.

My Baby Girl is from the 1974 album Sunday's Child.

5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Thank-you Kees!!!!!!!!
I just sat through a really long and hard history seminar, and it was nice to escape into some good music.

I really enjoyed all those tracks you post, espeically the first two tracks. Bless the Weather is very calming, and his voice is very comforting I find. And I love hearing all the acoustic instruments in the back.

Also, I loved the history you provided :)
Going to go and listen again, I'm sure I'm going to make my favourites. Thanks again for the music pick-me-up!

3:14 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Pleasure lady! Bless the Weather is my favourite. I think. Stormbringer is a pretty close second. I'm listening to him a lot at the moment.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Will said...

i was much in need of an introduction as well

9:20 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Blimey - I AM having a good day, I have managed to bring music to the music-bringing god that is Will Benham. I'm king of the world!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Night Hawker said...

everyone should have the following john martyn albums

bless the weather
solid air
inside out
sunday's child
grace and danger

there isn't such a thing as a bad John Martyn album (except maybe Glourious Fool)

you must all buy them all (including Glourious Fool - you've got have the full set to look cool y'know)

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home