Wednesday, December 06, 2006



The most exciting thing of the week so far? 'Five US' is showing series one of Dawson's Creek, the most ridiculous TV show ever made. I'm not sure I've seen the first series before, I fought long and hard against watching it at all but Anna made me. Every time I watch it I end up yelling 'but they're 15!!!!' at the telly like a mad old woman. Dawson has truly remarkable hair. It's MASSIVE and clearly blow-dried. He's 15!!! And he has a permanent 5 o'clock shadow and HUGE carefully manicured topiary for eyebrows and looks very much like someone in their early 30s. But my favourite thing about it has to be the script...who talks like that? I mean who talks like that anyway BUT THEY'RE 15!!!! Actual quote...


Joey: So the friendship? You don't think we're friends anymore?
Dawson: I don't know. Are we more? Are we less? All I know is it's just not the way it used to be. Nothing is anymore.
Joey: It's called social evolution, Dawson. What's strong enough flourishes and what doesn't we look at behind glass cases in science museums.
Dawson: You and I? Are we museum bound?

15 year old boys say thing like 'dunno' 'whatever' 'dunno' 'yeah'. 'Are we museum bound?' WHAT??? You're 15!!!! Honestly.



In tonight's episode Jen's ex-boyfriend came to town. I actually really liked him as he was rather hateful to stupid moaning miserable Dawson. He picked up his E.T. doll and started stretching its little brown arms and Dawson bleated weakly about it being a collector's item. See how it has sucked me in? I wallow in my hatred of it I can't help it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, when I watched Dawsons Creek for the first time I wasn't concentrating at all. I watched a couple of episodes thinking that katie holmes was the 'Dawson' character.

Dawson's Creek is one of those irritating shows where a bunch of kids go round like they are 20 somethings and look like 20 somethings. Just like the O.C. Kinda funny and watchable though :3.

That Nick Cave link didn't work for me :s. I have that song that he did with Kylie. He scared me in that video.

10:56 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

LMAO! Your rant had me laughign so hard I had to call Sean over and read it out to him. He loved it too. I don't watch Dawesons Creek, or the OC, but yeaaah, what is it with these shows that have kids talking like adults. Well, very different sounding adults. I can see how it would be sort of facinating. I'm sulking because House isn't on this week. Grey's Anatomy better be, or I will hit the roof. I have to have some brain candy you know :)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

While I agree that they totally act/speak like adults is was a HUGE cultural phenomenon over in NA about 10 years ago. OMG, I can't believe it was that long ago. When the show started I was the same age as the 'tv characters' and remember thinking...wow they're so much more mature....LOL.

Shows like the OC and Dawson's Creek, just reinforces how much US media glamorizes adolence. On Canadian teen dramas, people playing the characters are the same age as the characters they represent, and less 'hollywood glam' if you want to call it that. However, I loved Dawson's Creek growing up, but probably couldn't stomach it now.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I never did watch that show, but I know I spoke like that ALL THE TIME when I was 15, as did all my well-groomed, manicured, and perfectly coiffed boyfriends.

3:50 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

*giggling at Barb's comment*

5:48 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hehehe... I couldn't stand Dawson's Creek; Dawson was so lame.
Katie Holmes though!!! Now we're talking, and not about her acting skills either :0)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to this entry.

I think I saw about two episodes of the first series when it came out. It was enough.

(Amen to dogga's comment too!)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Yea, but poor Katie Holmes is now trapped in a life of scientology with Tom Cruise. Yuk!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckle, chuckle : )

I LOVE Dawson's Creek - priceless entertainment. And the name...why? he doesn't actually own even a small bit of the creek...

Can I get this channel on my little free-view tv box thing?!

9:18 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Thing is River I love to hate it - it's FAR too watchable for my liking. Boo and also hiss about the Nick Cave link. Bolt is being a damn swine lately.

Glad to have entertained you both Mel! Dawson's Creek certainly not brain candy :)

The thing of it is Allison that I absolutely love watching it. And the genius lies in the fact they are aware the characters are overly introspective wordy weirdoes which is why they have characters like Jen's ex and later Joey's college room mate who point out what odd bods they are. I'm sure you'd love it just as much now :)

"perfectly coiffed boyfriends" LOVE it Barb, love it.

Dogga no! She's MISERABLE. And clearly a bit mental what with all the marrying of Tom Cruise she's been doing.

But Rob its lameness is its genius!

Yuk indeed Toccata, Tom Cruise is proper creepy :(

Yeah well you're responsible for my viewing in the first place Anna! And yes - on my free view box it's channel 35 xx

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home