Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rod y Gab

It was one week ago today that me, Stu and a couple of friends went to see Rodrigo and Gabriela. I'm such a lazy slug it's taken me a whole week to post about it. Rod y Gab are Dublin-based Mexicans (like so many new acts these days) who play guitar duets which sounds pants but they are BRILLIANT. Gab is really sweet with a lovely accent and it's really funny to hear her talk about their heavy metal roots (and every time she said 'heavy metal' she growled and made the international symbol for 'rock', the one with your forefinger and your little finger). They only started messing about like this as a way to get hotels and bars to let them play in them.





Unfortunately the venue was ridiculous for them - it's a huge club with loads of balconies so no-one could really see them playing. There were big screens but whoever was controlling them only turned them on for a few songs. Annoying.

NOT as annoying as the young hooligans who perched, literally perched on a tiny shelf meant for resting your drink, behind us. It was quite a quiet night really so you could hear them play and these idiots were shouting across to each other saying genius things like 'I can see an arm', 'I can see a leg but some dickheads head is in the way' the dickhead in question being a middle-aged lady. When they started pulling ceiling tiles down so they could hang from the supports one of our number went and got a bouncer at which point Stu, who had been quietly seething, yelled 'what's your f**king problem?'. They just looked startled. Then the bouncer came up and asked who had taken the ceiling panels down 'it weren't us mate', to which Stu interjected with 'yes it was I saw them it was these f**king goons'. So mild mannered, never gets angry, but mess with him at a gig and you'll incur the wrath. I even got to say 'leave it Stu it's not worth it' which is what all girlfriends have to say in these situations, it's the law. They left, we had a good night. Polished off with fish and chips in the pouring rain.

13 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Sometimes I think there is nothing as powerful as the acoustic guitar (but I do have a song affinity towards the keyboard). They seem to play with great vigor, even in the more mellow clip. I like it!

I hate people who yammer on at concerts, really one of the biggest annoyances, ever. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Although I sometimes break that rule when I go to the movies, but that's only if the theatre isn't really crowed, and if I'm with certain people.

Good on Stu for telling off. And yes, it is the law to say "Its not worth it" in those situations ;)

10:43 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Yes, good for Stu! Too many times, morons get away with shit like that, cause no one want to say anything. Heehee, I like to say things like "It's not worth it" :D

Fish and chips in the pouring rain? :)

12:59 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

hahaha last concert we almost got into a fight with loud mouths, it was ME who was yipping off and telling them to shut up. Jerry thought he was going to be called upon to fight on my behalf.

I'll be back to view the vids.

3:05 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Go Barb!!! *G*

5:25 AM  
Blogger Will said...

You always get some pricks at a concert or show. Glad they didn't spoil your night.

I've heard of the pair but not heard them if you know what I mean. they sound good, a beach holiday sound, or sitting in the garden on a warm summers evening drinking a glass of red.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome.

I saw something similar, yet different a few weeks back. I was well impressed.

I'd love to go see those two play together though.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I finally got to watch the vids. They are awesome musicians - just smoking! Arseholes aside, it must have been a great show.

8:00 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

WOW! Those performances were superb - thanks for the introduction to these marvelous musicians!

I had when people act like assholes at concerts - as though they are the only one who paid to see the performance. Good on Stu.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know you appear in google searches??

I did a search on "psychoneuroimmunology Bristol 2006" (it's sadly dismal in
Weymouth on a wet Saturday afternoon:-)) and kees came up as about the 8th link. Adding kees to the search string puts you at thee top of the found list!!

..and another thing, your blog about your London adventures appeared for a short while and now seems to have disappeared. What's happened? your fans need you!!

Love Pa

4:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

That was wonderful. Graham would have loved that. He was into guitar music.
That was very well played.
Thank you kees

8:11 PM  
Blogger karen said...

A certain amount of yammering is acceptable I think Allison, this was yelling and swearing, being abusive and causing criminal damage. Not allowed!!!!

Yep Mel, fish and chips in the pouring rain, it was great :)

Wot Mel said..Go Barb!!! You and Stu at a concert would be a formidable force.

Yeah I agree Ben, some of it was really pretty lively, especially when Gab was drumming on the body of the guitar. Glass of red is mandatory.

Hi Rob - they're great aren't they? Joogleberry playhouse! What a great name, I love it!

It was a great show Barb, wish we'd had a better view but the bits we could see were amazing.

Pleasure Phlegmfatale!

Hahaha! We were clearly both on my blog at the same time Dad! Yeah, about 'the London thing'. I wrote that post then immediately changed my mind. It's quite tricky to post about really - too exciting!!! Coming up later I promise xxx

Aw pleasure Barb, if I can I'll send you the info on the new album.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

hahaha, I didn't know the fox had it in him LOL! He's gonna get a ribbin' on Monday :]
Good for him though... Hoorah!

11:21 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Don't give him too much of a ribbin' he'll rip you f**king head off!!! Grrrrr!!! Seriously though you wouldn't think it would you? He's a very convincing angry man. I can only think of one or two other occasions in ten years I've seen that side of him. What a hero.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home