Saturday, December 02, 2006

Just another day at the office

So there has been a couple of days break in my attempt to blog every day. I have a really really really good reason for this.

The most unbelievable thing EVER happened. On Wednesday I was at my desk, eating my sandwich, updating my links for this page, when I saw an advert. I replied to the advert and spent all day Thursday in London filming a Nick Cave video.

Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Martyn Casey and Jim Sclavunos have formed a new band Grinderman and they put out a request on myspace for people to be in the videos for a few songs. As it was the day before the shoot I didn't think anything at all would come of it. After a small amount of arguing with myself about the fact I had a hair appointment booked and if I did go I'd have to cancel, I copied a photo from a blog entry and sent an e-mail not expecting a reply. By 6pm they had said they'd love for me to come down and asked me to bring a hot boy along. So I rang dogga and off we went to London. By 11am Thursday I was dancing like I was possessed while the band played live in the tiny upstairs room of a pub in east London. I was also required to strip down to my undies and do a bit of snogging. This involved making a fairly unusual phone call to Stu in Paris asking how he felt about me gadding about in my pants for a Nick Cave video. Literally unbelievable.

Funny really, but doing a PhD in neuroscience I don't get asked to do this kind of thing much. It was the most surreal day. It was fascinating getting to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff, all the fannying around involved in making a few videos. The things that Warren Ellis can do with a violin are astounding. And, of course, Nick Cave singing a matter of inches from me was a huge honour and privilege. The director (same director from 'The Proposition') was BRILLIANT. In fact all the crew were wonderful and the atmosphere was great. And the music is amazing, 'No Pussy Blues' ROCKS. It's difficult to blog about really - I'll never get to do anything like it ever again and it's hard to describe how completely unexpected it was, and how it far far exceeded any expectations I had about what it might be like. Back in the lab yesterday it was hard to believe it had happened at all.

11 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I didn't hear about the UNDIES part!!!!! My god, Kees, I do hope you were wearing your nicest undies! It's like your mother always told you ... just in case you get hit by a bus or asked to dance in a Nick Cave video.

I'm still gobsmacked by this amazing adventure and can't wait for the video to come out so I can show all my friends how you dance in your undies. Well done, Kees!!!
And yay Nick!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Nice little summary that Kees and I've never been called a 'hot boy' before LOL, so thanks for that :0)

I'm still stunned that it actually happened and I've got some related links to send you, but I'm so excitited to see what the video(s) will be like.

A great day was had indeed, nerve racking at times though. A real once in a life-time experience eh!

5:40 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

OMG! I was actually yelling at my monitor while reading this heeeeee! :D I was saying thoughout "OHMYGOD KEES, THATS F-ING AMAZING etc etc"

Im so excited! Wow! *bouncing up and down* I can't wait to see it!!!!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I hope you pinched yourself!!! That's incredible...what an adventure!

I laughed about "calling for approval" of the undies shot...good for you.

Can hardly wait for the video.

You're the second person I know in a video...the other one is my boss's son. He's a cutie pie and was in one of the latest Nicelback videos. He plays the main character.

How very exciting for you.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Scandalous, scandalous!! Bloody hell, I can't wait to see this vid Ms. Kees!!!

That must have been quite a glorious day. Now comes a film question, what was the concept? Or were you just dancing your little asses off, while the band played (which is cool too). I always get a little rush whenever I'm on set, even through I hate working it, its still amazing to see everything come together.

You better tell us all when this comes out, so we can plastered it everywhere and make you and vid star ;)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Ultra cool! I would agree that is a really times 3 good reason not to blog!

Knitting, blogging, Phding and now dancing in your undies in a Nick Cave video! The mind boggles at the thought. Make sure you send out an announcement when the video is released. Can't wait to see it.

p.s. I think it's great you were able to share the experience with your friend dogga.

8:07 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Oops, did I forget to mention that bit Barb? Yep, Kees in her knickers. Blush. Lucky for me there was no actual dancing in the undies, that may have been too much. And yes I had been forewarned about the potential for undie-showing so I donned Marks and Spencer's finest :)

Dogga I know I keep saying it but thanks SO much for coming with me - it was really nice to have someone to share it with xxx

Mel you are coming someway close to how excited I was!!!

Well it wasn't so much calling for approval of the undies shots, more the rampant snogging that went along with it Deb!!!! But he's a diamond and didn't mind at all - and it was all totally professional and above board ;)

Ok well Allison there were three videos all based around this slightly hysterical house party. In the first one, for 'No Pussy Blues' we're all just going totally mental that we're at such a great party and a great band is playing, the second one was more like the end of the night - that's when all the debauchery occurred. Lots of quite surreal shots - people manically laughing, manically snogging, arguing etc etc. The usual. I think most of the third one was being shot on Friday but I heard rumours of monkeys being involved!

Aw thanks Toccata. Yeah it was great that dogga came too - otherwise I might just think I dreamed the whole thing.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats so great, seems so random! All the cool people hangout on myspace lol.

Glad you had a great time, your gonna have to point yourself out in the video!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Have you floated down from cloud nine yet? I still can't get over that happening to you. That is just the coolest thing.

5:49 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Yes well done to Nick, what great taste he has in extras Ben!! And you're right of course - maybe I should forewarn M&S!!!

River I would not be at all surprised if I end up on the cutting room floor but it's ALL good, just being there was ace.

NEARLY back down to earth Toccata, but not quite :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

WOW. you weren't kidding about the undies. Super cool. Can't wait to see it!

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home